[daip] Midnight Job

Adam J. Mott adam.mott at asu.edu
Sat Dec 1 17:21:54 EST 2007

Hello,

I have a question regarding the AIPS self-update feature (midnight
job).  I needed to do a reinstall of my OS.  Before doing so, I backed
up my entire AIPS tree, as well as my .AIPSRC file and the
do_daily_localhost file in my home directory.  After reinstalling my
OS, I restored these files.  AIPS seems to be running fine and all my
data is still there.  But it looks like I have broken the midnight job
feature.  I never had it set up to run automatically in the first
place (I would just manually type "do_daily_localhost" any time I
wanted to update).  But now when I type do_daily_localhost, it barks
at me:

AIPSUPD - cd /Users/adam/aips/31DEC07/MACINT/UPDATE
AIPSUPD - RunTime is 20071201.215525
AIPSUPD - LogFile is /Users/adam/aips/31DEC07/MACINT/UPDATE/
UPD20071201.215525.LOG
AIPSUPD - ErrorFile is /Users/adam/aips/31DEC07/MACINT/UPDATE/
UPD20071201.215525.ERR
AIPSUPD - Using CVS for copying files.
AIPSUPD - calling UPDCVS
UPDCVS - no $HOME/.cvspass; cvs should be primed with
UPDCVS - a command like so:
UPDCVS - /usr/bin/cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at mnj.aoc.nrao.edu:/home/
aipssrc/cvs login
UPDCVS - This should have been done by MAKE.MNJ.
AIPSUPD - UPDCVS failed, Status=1

Is there an easy way for me to restore the setup for the midnight
job?  I'm guessing that there must have been a file (.cvspass ?) that
had info for the midnight job which I did not include as part of my
backup before I reinstalled my OS.

Also, for future reference, what would have been the "elegant" way to
backup my AIPS setup before wiping my hard drive?  Would it have been
better to just backup my entire catalog using "FITTP" inside AIPS,
reinstall AIPS from scratch using the standard install script, and
then import my data from the FITS files back into AIPS?

Thanks for any info you can give me,

Adam Mott
Tempe, Arizona