[daip] AIPS installation query

Catherine Brocksopp cb4 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 07:36:29 EDT 2007

I am an AIPS user who has recently been issued with a new PC and so need
to add this new machine to the list of AIPS hosts. Unfortunately the
computer manager who originally installed AIPS has now left and so I am
the only person here who now has anything to do with it. We're currently
running the 31DEC04 version which I know is horribly out of data but I
currently feel installing a new version is a bit beyond me. Maybe I'll try
that next!

I've been trying to follow the instructions for adding a host and adding
the associated data area, using the AIPS managers FAQ webpage. The new
machine is linux, as was the old one, and so I'm assuming I can follow the
simpler instructions.

I've edited HOSTS.LIST, DADEVS.LIST and NETSP.
I've created a new directory containing SPACE in both DA00 and DATA
I've copied the whole contents of DA00 to 31DEC04/LINUX/TEMPLATE/.
I've run LOGIN.CSH
I've run SYSETUP <hostname>

And there are no complaints.

Then when I try to start up AIPS I get the output which I've appended
below. I'm afraid I don't understand what any of the errors mean. If I try
to load a fits file using FITLD then I am given the error message "AIPS 1:
ZOPEN: FILE DA00:TDD000004;          NOT FOUND"

I'm sorry for the no doubt very novice-sounding questions but would really
appreciate any help you can give me

Many thanks
Catherine Brocksopp

[115 MSSLLT]/disk/xray4/xraysw/linux/aips>aips
  **  type v6sas  for SAS v6.0                        **
  **       v65sas for SAS v6.5                        **
  **       v7sas  for SAS v7.0                        **
  **  msslaa/ac and mssll9 are standalone linux boxes **
  **  mssll9 has a dvd writer - located in office 158 **
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by
installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name hp, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file
/disk/xray4/xraysw/linux/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
    Disk 1 (1) is /disk/xray4/xraysw/linux/aips/DATA/MSSLLT_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called mssllt
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on mssllt asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on MSSLLT asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
ZDCHI1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   8
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   8
  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?STARTPMON: [MSSLLT] Warning: Using TPMON in TST/CVX, not NEW
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on mssllt
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start XAS on mssllt, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on mssllt, DISPLAY :0

  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on mssllt, DISPLAY :0

  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?10
AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:ACD000000;          NOT FOUND
AIPS 1: ACCOUNT: OPEN ERROR      2
AIPS 1:                          31DEC04 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>exit
AIPS 1: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
AIPS 1: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   1
AIPS 1: User   10:   151 messages, oldest written 24-AUG-2007  12:07:21
AIPS 1: Deleted      0 messages
AIPS 1: Saved POPS environment in area named 'LASTEXIT'
AIPS 1: Session command-line history saved.
AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:ACD000000;          NOT FOUND
AIPS 1: ACCOUNT: OPEN ERROR      2
[116 MSSLLT]/disk/xray4/xraysw/linux/aips>