[daip] array simulations

Joseph Lazio lazio at nrl.navy.mil
Sun Aug 12 15:25:08 EDT 2007

LK> Joseph Lazio wrote:
>> Suppose that one had to do simulations of an array on the Moon.  Is
>> this as simple as modifying $APLNOT/GEOPOS.FOR for UVCON?

LK> As I see GEOPOS.FOR converts antenna positions from lat,long.elev
LK> coordinate system to the equatorial coordinate system (Z toward
LK> the north pole). This is very simple.

LK> Antenna position given at any coordinate system tied with the
LK> Earth is recalculated at UVCON into the celestial coordinate
LK> system taking into account the Earth rotation around its axis and
LK> around the SUN through GST. Something similar should be done for
LK> the case of the array located at the Moon.

Agreed, but I think that one has to also take into account the fact
that the Moon's radius is smaller than that of the Earth.

LK> My opinion that such an option should be done at the private
LK> version of UVCON, but I'd like to discuss it at the AIPS meeting
LK> this Wednesday. Tell me please what is it for.

My intention was certainly to do this in a private copy, but I want to
make sure that I make the correct changes.  As for why, it is for a
study for a radio array on the Moon; see <URL:
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2007/aug/HQ_07169_Selected_Lunar_Science_Proposals.html
>.

Thanks,

-- Joe

--
Joseph Lazio, Ph.D.           	    voice:  +1-202-404-6329
Naval Research Laboratory     	    fax:    +1-202-404-8894
4555 Overlook Ave. SW         	    Joseph.Lazio at nrl.navy.mil
Washington, DC  20375-5351