[daip] Installing AIPS on Mac Intel laptop

Nazirah JETHA nazirah.jetha at cea.fr
Tue Aug 7 11:31:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've just done this,  and this time the XAS* files did arrive with an
execute permission.

On running "aips" I get the following output

START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied
by installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name saphpcolp2, AIPS type PS
START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file /Users/njetha/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/njetha/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE
START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user njetha
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 3350 1100, max grey level 255
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?2610
AIPS 1:                          31DEC07 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2007 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

No TVSERVER appears, and when I type TVINIT I get this:

ZSSSO2 connect (INET): Connection refused
AIPS 1: ZSSSOP: CHANNEL ASSIGN ERROR FOR LUN    9
AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV OPEN ERROR      6
AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6

On doing a kleenex, making sure that *everything* concerned with aips
is killed and running "aips tv=local", I get the following:

START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied
by installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name saphpcolp2, AIPS type PS
START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file /Users/njetha/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/njetha/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE
START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 3350 1100, max grey level 255
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?2610
AIPS 1:                          31DEC07 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2007 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

TVINIT produces this:

ZSSSO2 connect (UNIX): No such file or directory
AIPS 1: ZSSSOP: CHANNEL ASSIGN ERROR FOR LUN    9
AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV OPEN ERROR      6
AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6

Naz