[daip] Installing AIPS on Mac Intel laptop

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 7 11:44:24 EDT 2007

Nazirah JETHA writes:
 > I've just done this,  and this time the XAS* files did arrive with an
 > execute permission.
 >
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > XAS: Using screen width height 3350 1100, max grey level 255
 > Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

Great progress!  This is now easy.  From our aips manager FAQ page:

If you see this on a Mac, congratulations; you have one of the larger
display screens. The default Mac system limits shared memory pages to
4 Mbytes. When XAS starts it tells you that it is making a screen x
pixels by y pixels. The memory you will need is at least  4 x y
bytes. For the new large screens this is more than 8 Mbytes. On 10.3
and 10.4 systems, you can change this limit by changing (as root or
admin) the rc file in /etc, adjusting the kern.sysv.shm* line to

         #Setting the shared memory to something a bit more reasonable.
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=4096

If you are really lucky and have a 30-inch screen (2550 by 1500
pixels) then you will have to make the shmmax line even larger

            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=16777216

-

Note that you have 3350 by 1150 so the above 16 Mby number should
work.  If not try 20 Mby  (20971520) and be sure to change the shmall
to 4096.