[daip] RA-GLS question in aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 7 10:54:18 EDT 2007

Sarma, Anuj writes:
 > Hello Eric,
 >
 > I have a FITS dataset (from Nobeyama) whose header lists as RA-GLS. Is
 > there a simple way in aips that I can change this to RA-SIN? (I need to
 > do this so myriad-wip can work on it.) I've read the memo (46?) on
 > implementation, but haven't been able to transcribe this to an actual
 > command in aips.

the task to use is OHGEO  (or HGEOM)  which regrids the data from an
input image using the header of a sample image.  So read your image
in, copy it with SUBIM, use PUTHEAD to change the header to say
RA---SIN  and DEC--SIN and then run OHGEO.  It may take a couple tries
to get all the adverbs as you need.  NOte that -GLS projection can
cover large portions of the sky with little distortion while -SIN is
more limited.  This will work well for an image of at most a few
degrees on a side.

Note too that aips definition of GLS is more limited than the
definition in the new WCS standards.  Let us hope that the image is
within the simplistic aips regime.