[daip] AIPS installation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 6 10:27:25 EDT 2007

kazuhiro.hada writes:

 > I'm trying to install linux AIPS 31DEC07.
 > In the installation at the point of creating the XAS,
 > I'm getting the following errors:

 > AipsWiz: The GNU readline library was apparently created.
 > AipsWiz:  =====> Make the XAS TV Server from source if needed...
 > AipsWiz: About to unpack the XAS.SHR archive.
 > AipsWiz: Done.
 > AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...
 >
 > rm -f *.o xas XAS
 > c xas.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [xas.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 >
 > My c compiler is version 2.95.3,
 > and I checked I got the right path to it.
 > Do I have to further edit any files ?

Is this an installation of 07 in an environment that has an older
version already?  Have you accidentally changed the SITE name?
Check the $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST file and your $HOME/.AIPSRC file.
This particular error most often occurs when install.pl sources
LOGIN.*SH and does not find the new site.

May I suggest that you use the binary installation instead.  The load
modules run much faster than those produced by the GNU compiler, esp
such an old version of the compiler.  If your site developes its own
code for AIPS, then you will need to compile locally.  Otherwise, the
binary release is simpler and faster.