[daip] dead catalog

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 5 17:12:58 EDT 2007

Lawrence Rudnick writes:
 > Eric & Co. --
 >
 > I have some old files that I need that appear intact when you look in
 > the directory through unix, but when I go into that data area in aips,
 > got the error
 > about reading beyond EOF, etc.   so I did
 > 1) RUN RECAT, and that appeared to work, although the sequence numbers
 > all came out *****.
 > 2) renamed all the files, and each time, it did what I asked but gave
 > some kind of error
 > 3) do an mcat, and all looks fine
 > 4) try to do a qh, or tvlod on a file, and it gives me
 >  >qh
 > AIPS 1: Image=3C461     (MA)         Filename=CAS85C 5"   .POLI  .   7
 > AIPS 1: Minimum=  81.1662            Maximum=   0.0000 ZettaPRODUCT
 > AIPS 1: --------------------------------------------------------------
 > AIPS 1: Type    Pixels   Coord value  at Pixel    Coord incr   Rotat
 > AIPS 1: ZABORS: signal 11 received
 > AIPS 1: ABORT!
 > Illegal instruction

These are binary files from a Sun which you are now trying to read
directly on a Linux machine (or some such contrasting architecture)
Character strings work but nothing else is the clue.  Mac PPCs have
the same byte order as Suns, Mac Intel boxes have the same byte order
as Linux.  You cannot read data from one byte order with the other
order except in FITS files (which control the byte order).  We have
never written the code that would be needed to do this translation -
it could be written but....