[daip] dead catalog

Lawrence Rudnick larry at astro.umn.edu
Thu Apr 5 15:35:09 EDT 2007

Eric & Co. --

I have some old files that I need that appear intact when you look in
the directory through unix, but when I go into that data area in aips,
got the error
about reading beyond EOF, etc.   so I did
1) RUN RECAT, and that appeared to work, although the sequence numbers
all came out *****.
2) renamed all the files, and each time, it did what I asked but gave
some kind of error
3) do an mcat, and all looks fine
4) try to do a qh, or tvlod on a file, and it gives me
 >qh
AIPS 1: Image=3C461     (MA)         Filename=CAS85C 5"   .POLI  .   7
AIPS 1: Minimum=  81.1662            Maximum=   0.0000 ZettaPRODUCT
AIPS 1: Type    Pixels   Coord value  at Pixel    Coord incr   Rotat
AIPS 1: ZABORS: signal 11 received
AIPS 1: ABORT!
Illegal instruction

Any hope for these files?  I don't believe I have any backups except on
unreadable 9tracks!

Thanks.

lr