[daip] ANBPL

Leonia Kogan lkogan at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:19:42 EDT 2006

Andy Biggs wrote:

> Hi Leonia. I am using the files that come with AIPS to describe the
> array i.e. VLA-A-UVCON. There is a diameter of 25m given for each
> antenna. I have tested the primary beam correction by placing a source
> (using SMODEL) at large distances from the phase centre. I thought
> that I would notice this effect in VPLOT i.e. a single 1-Jy source
> (SMODEL = 1,X,Y) would appear to have a lower flux density; it
> doesn't. The sources I simulate are unresolved, but surely the primary
> beam will still reduce their apparent flux density?

You may be right. I might miss the most simple case when  model is given
as SMODEL because
it is not a case when the primary beam correction simulation is
practically needed.
I am sure the multiplication of the model by the primary beam is
simulated by UVCON if model is given as
image (in2name..) or as the cc components at the attached CC file
I'll find a time to look at the UVCON's codes and see if it is there. If
not I'll fix it

> It's unclear from the UVCON help if you have to set BMAJ and BMIN for
> the circular beam, flat illumination case (BPARM(6)=1). I've also
> tried the primary beam correction for BPARM(6)=4 and set BMAJ and
> BMIN, but this doesn't seem to change anything.

BMAJ, BMIN are needed only if BPARM(6). EQ. 4 .or. 5