[daip] TVSERV.EXE Issue

Adrienne Stilp adrienne at astro.washington.edu
Mon Oct 30 14:25:18 EST 2006

I have a typescript file of the installation, which I've attached. I used
a locally compiled file for the installation. However, I don't appear to
have a ~/.AIPSRC file.

Adrienne

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Adrienne Stilp writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried installing it to a networked drive (/astro/apps/aips) and got the
> > same errors. We thought they might be fixed by installing it locally, but
> > it didn't work either. Ideally I want it installed to the networked drive
> > so anyone can use it.
> >
> > The $AIPS_ROOT/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD directory is unpopulated other than a
> > XAS and a XAS.odl file. I'm guessing that this is not normal. This is the
> > case for both the /astro/apps/aips and the /local/tmp/aips installations.
> >
> > I checked the START_AIPS file and it sets AIPS_ROOT to
> > /astro/apps/aips/AIPS, which is where I want it to look. Is this the error
> > in the proc files you were thinking of, or is it something else?
> >

> I am going to need more details of your installation.  Did you attempt
> to do it with binary or locally compiled?  What did it say as it
> proceded?  Either one of these should take some time and produce lots
> of messages.  What does it say in your file ~/.AIPSRC?
>
> Eric Greisen

-------------- next part --------------
Script started on Mon Oct 16 17:15:15 2006
[adrienne at shower ~]$ cd /local/tmp/AIPS/build/

[adrienne at shower build]$ ls

31DEC06.tar.gz  31DEC06.tar.gz.md5sum  install.pl

[adrienne at shower build]$ perl install.pl

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 0: INTRODUCTION

----------------------

Welcome to the AIPS Install Wizard (AipsWiz)!

It will do the following:

  1.  Look for (and/or download) the 'tarball' for 31DEC06

      (skipped if installing from CD or network)

  2.  Unpack it wherever you specify (skipped if CD or network)

  3.  Ask you for various settings through a set of menus

  4.  Review your settings, and

  5.  Do the installation with no further input needed.

Things can go wrong (!) so this procedure is not perfect,

but it saves state in a file .AIPSRC in your home area.

So you can easily restart an interrupted install attempt,

without re-entering all your settings.  You can also go

back a screen by typing 'B' to most prompts, or you

can Quit at any menu by entering 'Q'.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Press <ENTER> or <RETURN> to get started: 1

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 1: DOWNLOAD

------------------

Found a 'tarball' /local/tmp/AIPS/build/31DEC06.tar.gz

         ..................Dated 2006.10.17:00:09.53 (UT)

         and the current time is 2006.10.17:00:16.22 (UT)

If there's too much time between these two dates

you may prefer to get a newer version (the file

is generated daily).  If it's less than 1 week,

it's probably fine.

You can:

   (G) Get a newer copy from NRAO's ftp site,

       (the file is generated nightly)

   (S) Skip the download and use the existing tarball, or

   (Q) Quit now.

NOTE: if by some chance the automatic ftp fetch fails, you

      may want to fetch it yourself by hand, from

      ftp.aoc.nrao.edu:/aips/31DEC06/31DEC06.tar.gz

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> What do you want to do? [default S] S

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 2: Confirmation

----------------------

Proceeding with 31DEC06 install/upgrade.  Please check:

-rw-rw-r--  1 adrienne astro 91785384 Oct 16 17:09 /local/tmp/AIPS/build/31DEC06.tar.gz

that this is the file you want (should be >45 Mbytes)

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Proceed [Y/N, default Y]

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 3: Where to unpack

-------------------------

Please tell me where to unpack the 31DEC06 version of AIPS

(This is the so-called AIPS_ROOT area).

The default is /local/tmp/AIPS/build

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> AIPS Root area: /o^?   lioca    ocal/tmp/AIPS/AIPS

AipsWiz: Unpacking the 'tarball' /local/tmp/AIPS/build/31DEC06.tar.gz

AipsWiz: in the /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS directory

AipsWiz: with command: tar zxvfU /local/tmp/AIPS/build/31DEC06.tar.gz

AipsWiz: This may generate some errors if you are overwriting, but

AipsWiz: these ('Cannot unlink: directory not empty') are benign.

AipsWiz: (printing a dot every 100 files for your amusement...

AipsWiz: Unpacking apparently worked (total of 6963 files)

AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to continue::

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 4: Group Ownership

-------------------------

If more than one account is going to be using AIPS, you should select

a 'Unix group' for these accounts.  This can,

but need not be, their primary group.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> What group should be used for AIPS? [root] astro

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 4b: Group Write

----------------------

If more than one account will use AIPS, and you are using

a group (astro) to permit filesharing, you should also allow this group

write access to certain AIPS files.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Allow astro to have write access? [YES]

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 5: Site Name

-------------------

Please enter a single word that will be used to describe your AIPS site.

This may be used as a directory name.  Example: at NRAO we use

names such as NRAOCV, NRAOAOC, etc.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your site name: [required, no default] UWashAstro

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 5a: Site type

--------------------

If your site consists of a single portable computer

 which may get different names at different times,

 it is best to force the name for AIPS to LOCALHOST.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> If you want this, enter Y or y [N]

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 5b: Architecture Confirmation

------------------------------------

Your architecture appears to be LINUX

If this is correct, press RETURN or ENTER.

If not, enter the correct architecture (or ? for a list)

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Enter the architecture for this system [LINUX]

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 6: Additional hosts if any

---------------------------------

You may configure your installation so it runs on many systems,

sharing the AIPS ROOT area via NFS.  The list of host(s) is now:

SHOWER

Any new hosts will initially be set to arch=LINUX, but you can

change this by editing HOSTS.LIST in /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS

when the install is finished.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Enter new hosts (no commas!) or SHOWER to reset:

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 7: User Data Areas

-------------------------

At least one data area needs to be defined for AIPS user data.

Do it here unless there is already a DADEVS.LIST file.  It is

important that the host name in caps appear in the data area name.

Currently these area(s) are defined:

  (no data areas have been defined yet)

You can add to this list after installing by editing the two files

DADEVS.LIST and NETSP in the /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00/ directory.

Please enter (additional) data area(s) now as a space-separated list,

or the word RESET to re-set the list.

   (If you want to use symlinks, use the notation

       actual_directory_location:symbolic_link_location

    instead of a simple directory location.)

The suggested data area is /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DATA/SHOWER_1

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Data Areas:

AipsWiz: Error: Error: must have at least one data area!

^?

[...]

AipsWiz: ===> Data Areas: /localtmp^?^?             /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DATA/SHOWER_1

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 8: Printers

------------------

You may define several printers for use with AIPS.

These will appear on startup as numbered choices to the user

At least one printer must be defined.  Currently defined:

  (no printers are defined yet)

  Paper Format: A

You can modify printer definitions after the install by

editing the file /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00/PRDEVS.LIST .

Please indicate whether you want to

  - add (N)ew printers

  - (D)iscover your system's printers (may not work),

  - (A)ccept the current settings as is, or

  - (R)eset to clear the list.

(Paper format - A or A4 - will come next)

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your choice (default: Accept):N

AipsWiz: ==> Do your printer(s) use A or A4 paper? [A]:

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 9: Tape Drives

---------------------

If your network has any tape drives you would like to use for AIPS,

you can specify those now.  You need to configure each tape drive

machine to run AIPS (or a subset of it).  Current definitions:

    (no tape drives are defined yet)

You can add to this list after the install by editing TPDEVS.LIST

in the /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00 area.

Please indicate whether you want to

	add (N)ew tape drive(s)

	(D)iscover tape drives on SHOWER (may not work)

	(A)ccept the current settings as is, or

	(R)eset to clear the list.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your choice (default: Accept):B

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 8: Printers

------------------

You may define several printers for use with AIPS.

These will appear on startup as numbered choices to the user

At least one printer must be defined.  Currently defined:

  (no printers are defined yet)

  Paper Format: A

You can modify printer definitions after the install by

editing the file /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00/PRDEVS.LIST .

Please indicate whether you want to

  - add (N)ew printers

  - (D)iscover your system's printers (may not work),

  - (A)ccept the current settings as is, or

  - (R)eset to clear the list.

(Paper format - A or A4 - will come next)

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your choice (default: Accept):D

AipsWiz: Configuring 6 printers.  For each, you will be asked if you

AipsWiz: want to configure AIPS to use it, its type, options, and a

AipsWiz: description.  AIPS priner types are:

AipsWiz:   PS       Black-and-white PostScript printer

AipsWiz:   COLOR    (or COLOUR) Color/Colour PostScrip printert

AipsWiz:   TEXT     Plain text printers (including line printers)

AipsWiz:   QMS      QUIC format (QMS [not QMS PS!], Talaris) printers

AipsWiz:   PREVIEW  Screen Previewers, e.g. gv, ghostview, pageview

AipsWiz: And the valid AIPS printer options are:

AipsWiz:   NONE     (default), nothing special.

AipsWiz:   DUP      Printer will print on both sides of the paper

AipsWiz:   DEF      This will be the default AIPS printer

AipsWiz:   BIG=nnn  Force use of this printer for jobs > nnn lines

AipsWiz: If you want to specify multiple options for a printer,

AipsWiz: separate them with commas (NO SPACES!)

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for palicar|palicar (N to skip) [PS]: N

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for arcprinter|arcprinter (N to skip) [PS]: N

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for artemis|artemis (N to skip) [PS]:

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer options for artemis|artemis (N to skip) [NONE]:

AipsWiz: ==>   Description for artemis|artemis (N to skip): N-body Shop

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for eris|eris (N to skip) [PS]:

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer options for eris|eris (N to skip) [NONE]: DEF

AipsWiz: ==>   Description for eris|eris (N to skip): Mailroom B&W

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for expensive|expensive (N to skip) [PS]: COLOR

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer options for expensive|expensive (N to skip) [NONE]:

AipsWiz: ==>   Description for expensive|expensive (N to skip): Mailroom Color

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for goddess|goddess (N to skip) [PS]:

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer options for goddess|goddess (N to skip) [NONE]: Undergrad

AipsWiz: ==>   Description for goddess|goddess (N to skip):

[...]

  Printer Name      Type  AIPS Options     Description

  eris|eris           PS  DEF              Mailroom_B&W

  expensive|expensive   PS-CMYK  NONE             Mailroom_Color

  goddess|goddess        PS                   _(no_description_supplied_by_installer)_

  artemis|artemis        PS  NONE             N-body_Shop

  Paper Format: A

You can modify printer definitions after the install by

editing the file /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00/PRDEVS.LIST .

Please indicate whether you want to

  - add (N)ew printers

  - (D)iscover your system's printers (may not work),

  - (A)ccept the current settings as is, or

  - (R)eset to clear the list.

(Paper format - A or A4 - will come next)

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your choice (default: Accept):R

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 8: Printers

------------------

You may define several printers for use with AIPS.

These will appear on startup as numbered choices to the user

At least one printer must be defined.  Currently defined:

  (no printers are defined yet)

  Paper Format: A

You can modify printer definitions after the install by

editing the file /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00/PRDEVS.LIST .

Please indicate whether you want to

  - add (N)ew printers

  - (D)iscover your system's printers (may not work),

  - (A)ccept the current settings as is, or

  - (R)eset to clear the list.

(Paper format - A or A4 - will come next)

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your choice (default: Accept):D

AipsWiz: Configuring 12 printers.  For each, you will be asked if you

[...]

AipsWiz: ==>   Description for goddess|goddess (N to skip): Undergrad

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for palicar|palicar (N to skip) [PS]: N

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for arcprinter|arcprinter (N to skip) [PS]: N

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for artemis|artemis (N to skip) [PS]: N

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for eris|eris (N to skip) [PS]: N

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for expensive|expensive (N to skip) [PS]: N

AipsWiz: ==>   Printer    type for goddess|goddess (N to skip) [PS]: N

[...]

  goddess|goddess        PS  NONE             Undergrad

  artemis|artemis        PS  NONE             N-body_Shop

  Paper Format: A

You can modify printer definitions after the install by

editing the file /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00/PRDEVS.LIST .

Please indicate whether you want to

  - add (N)ew printers

  - (D)iscover your system's printers (may not work),

  - (A)ccept the current settings as is, or

  - (R)eset to clear the list.

(Paper format - A or A4 - will come next)

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your choice (default: Accept):A

[...]

Screen 9B: Tape Hosts

---------------------

THIS IS IMPORTANT:  READ ME!

The TPMON daemons that are automatically started or restarted

with each AIPS session are servers that give remote systems

access to your local tape drives (TPMON2,3,...) and FITS

disk area (TPMON1).  There is a mechanism to restrict connections

to a set of hosts and/or IP addresses.  You need to indicate what

remote system(s) if any are allowed to use your tapes

and FITS disk area.  The default configuration is to ONLY allow

your local host (127.0.0.1).  The list of hosts and/or IP addresses

is currently set to:

    127.0.0.1

You can modify this list after the install by editing file TPHOSTS

in the /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00 area.  Each line in the file can be

	- an IP address, e.g. 192.33.115.11

	- a fully qualified domain name, e.g. orangutan.cv.nrao.edu,

	- a limited IP address wildcard, e.g. 192.33.115.*, or

	- a limited domain name wildcard, e.g. *.cv.nrao.edu.

Please indicate whether you want to

	add (N)ew entries

	(A)ccept the current settings as is, or

	(R)eset to the default.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Your choice (default: Accept):

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 10: Advanced Settings

----------------------------

In general, the default settings for these advanced options will be OK.

Please review the settings, and then decide if you want to change them.

	AP settings are in PAPC.INC (cf $SYSLOCAL/INCS.SH)

	Fortran settings are in $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH

	C settings are in $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH, and

	Link settings are stored in $SYSLOCAL/LDOPTS.SH

Current settings of advanced parameters:

    AP Size (MB): 20 (for your memory size 255400 KB, use 20 MB)

FORTRAN Compiler: /usr/bin/g77 (default /usr/bin/g77)

     and options: -c -fno-automatic -fno-globals -Wno-globals -malign-double -\

		Wimplicit -Wall

 default options: -c -fno-automatic -fno-globals -Wno-globals -malign-double -\

		Wimplicit -Wall

          Linker: /usr/bin/g77 (default /usr/bin/g77)

      C Compiler: /usr/bin/gcc (default /usr/bin/gcc)

     and options: -c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -I/local/tmp/AIPS\

		/AIPS/31DEC06/INC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DHAVE_LINUX_GLIBC

 default options: -c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -I/local/tmp/AIPS\

		/AIPS/31DEC06/INC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DHAVE_LINUX_GLIBC

Readline Library: /usr/lib/libreadline.a

  Debug Libs too: NO

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> [M]odify or [A]ccept (default Accept):

===================== AIPS 31DEC06 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 11: FINAL REVIEW before installing!

This is your last, best hope for checking the settings before

committing to the install.  Please check these settings, and

make sure they are what you want:

   AIPS_ROOT (screen 3): /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS

       Group (screen 4): astro

 Group Write (screen 4): YES

Architecture (screen 5): LINUX

   Site name (screen 5): UWASHASTRO

  AIPS hosts (screen 6): SHOWER

  Data areas (screen 7): /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DATA/SHOWER_1

    Printers (screen 8): eris|eris            PS       DEF  Mailroom B&W

                         expensive|expensive       PS-CMYK      NONE  Mailroom Color

                         goddess|goddess            PS      NONE  Undergrad

                         artemis|artemis            PS      NONE  N-body Shop

  Paper type (screen 8): A

 Tape drives (screen 9):

  Tape hosts (screen 9): 127.0.0.1

   Advanced (screen 10): (not listed here)

You can skip back to a previous menu by entering its number,

or use the phrase 'start over' to go back  to the beginning.

         [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> [A]ccept (default) or menu number:

AipsWiz: ==> Confirm: start the install with these settings [Y]: Y

AipsWiz:  =====> Creating or updating HOSTS.LIST file

AipsWiz:         -- Done.

AipsWiz:  =====> Configuring your AIPS_ROOT area...

AipsWiz:  =====> Running 31DEC06/SYSTEM/UNIX/AIPSROOT.DEFINE /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS

AipsWiz:         -- Done.

AipsWiz:  =====> Adjusting AP size to 20 MBytes

AipsWiz:         No /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/INC/NOTST/LINUX/PAPC.INC found

AipsWiz:         - trying /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/INC/PAPC.INC

AipsWiz:         -- Done.

AipsWiz:  =====> Setting up LINUX-specific areas and SYSLOCAL...

AipsWiz: Creating directory /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LIBR

AipsWiz: Creating directory /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD

AipsWiz: Creating directory /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/MEMORY

AipsWiz: Creating directory /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/PREP

AipsWiz: Creating directory /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO

AipsWiz: Creating directory /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/TEMPLATE

AipsWiz:         Will copy /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO/MAKE.MNJ

AipsWiz:         - from /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/SYSTEM/UNIX/UPDATE/MAKE.MNJ

AipsWiz:         -- Done.

AipsWiz:  =====> Configuring AIPS for your printers...

AipsWiz:         Text printing set up for 'A' size paper

AipsWiz:         -- done

AipsWiz:  =====> Configure AIPS data areas ...

AipsWiz:         -- done

AipsWiz:  =====> Configure AIPS Tape drives...

AipsWiz:         -- done

AipsWiz:  =====> Create DA00/hostname/ directories...

AipsWiz:         -- done.

AipsWiz:  =====> Deploying your compiler options in script files...

AipsWiz:         CCOPTS.SH done (C Compiler and options)

AipsWiz:         LDOPTS.SH done (Linker)

AipsWiz:         FDEFAULT.SH done (Fortran compiler and options)

WARNING!  The structure of /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO/FDEFAULT.SH

          is very complex, and while this wizard install

          tries VERY hard to change the right section,

          it may have failed.  Please, PLEASE inspect the

          file and compare it to the original (saved as

          FDEFAULT.SH.dist in /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO)

          to make sure the settings are right.  Do this

          BEFORE you proceed any further.

          THIS IS REQUIRED FOR THE 2.95.3 COMPILER IN LINUX

AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> after you have verified FDEFAULT.SH::

AipsWiz:  =====> Compile Utility Programs (if needed) in /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO...

AipsWiz: Compiling F2PS...

AipsWiz: Compiling F2TEXT...

AipsWiz: Compiling NEWEST...

AipsWiz: Compiling PRINTENV...

AipsWiz: Compiling AIPWD...

AipsWiz: Compiling REVENV...

AipsWiz:         - Compiling ZTRLOP.c...

AipsWiz:         - done.  Now try building the PP preprocessor...

AipsWiz: /usr/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o

AipsWiz:         - that seemed to work.

AipsWiz:  =====> Make the XAS TV Server from source if needed...

AipsWiz: About to unpack the XAS.SHR archive.

AipsWiz: Done.

AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

rm -f *.o xas XAS

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c image.c

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c comm.c

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c cursor.c

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c screen.c

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c init.c

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c colors.c

/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c catalog.c

/usr/bin/gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM xas.o image.o comm.o cursor.o screen.o init.o colors.o catalog.o -lXext -lX11 -lm  -o xas

touch /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD/XAS

mv /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD/XAS /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD/XAS.OLD

mv xas /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD/XAS

AipsWiz: That seemed to work.

AipsWiz:  =====> Preparing for INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 (building AIPS)...

AipsWiz:  =====> Preparing for the "Midnight Job"...

AipsWiz:         MAKE.MNJ done (C Compiler and options)

AipsWiz:

The AIPS Midnight Job is a way to keep your AIPS

AipsWiz: installation up to date.  It is secure, relatively

AipsWiz: easy, and can be done on demand or in a cron job

AipsWiz: (i.e. periodically, daily or weekly or whenever).

AipsWiz: It does require that you have the cvs software

AipsWiz: package installed on your system.

AipsWiz: This script will set up the infrastructure for you

AipsWiz: to be *able* to run the Midnight Job (MNJ), but you

AipsWiz: have the power to make it run or not.

Should you choose to run the Midnight Job, the

'begin date' will be set to 20061016 (format is YYYYMMDD);

This is ONE day before the generation time

of /local/tmp/AIPS/build/31DEC06.tar.gz (if I've subtracted right!)

AipsWiz: ==> If you want a different date, enter it now::

AipsWiz: About to run '/local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO/MAKE.MNJ 20061016'...

AipsWiz: This will generate a fair bit of output.

AipsWiz: Engaging MAKE.MNJ...

AIPS_VERSION=/local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06

MAKE.MNJ - Moving to /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/UPDATE

MAKE.MNJ - Creating copies of files in /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/SYSTEM/UNIX/UPDATE

MAKE.MNJ - Compiling utility programs...

MAKE.MNJ -   UPDOBSLT compiled

MAKE.MNJ -   UPDLSTDAT compiled

MAKE.MNJ - all .OLD files created

MAKE.MNJ - LAST*.DAT files created with begin date of 20061016.000000

MAKE.MNJ - Done.

MAKE.MNJ - The MNJ now uses cvs (http://www.cvshome.org) for updates;

MAKE.MNJ - looking to see if I can find a copy of it....

MAKE.MNJ - Found /usr/bin/cvs.

MAKE.MNJ - Setting up your MNJ settings in

MAKE.MNJ -  /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO/UPDCONFIG:

MAKE.MNJ -  --------------------------

# Created by MAKE.MNJ on Tue Oct 17 00:31:30 UTC 2006

cvscmd=/usr/bin/cvs

ClientName=shower

MailList=adrienne

ErrorList=adrienne,aipsmgr at nrao.edu

MAKE.MNJ -  --------------------------

MAKE.MNJ - If you wish to change any of these settings, refer to the

MAKE.MNJ - comments at the start of /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/SYSTEM/UNIX/UPDATE/UPDCONFIG

MAKE.MNJ - and edit /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/UWASHASTRO/UPDCONFIG yourself.

MAKE.MNJ - Press <RETURN> to acknowledge...:

MAKE.MNJ - cvs needs to be primed by a login operation; this

MAKE.MNJ - is also a good time to test and make sure you can

MAKE.MNJ - connect to our server. We will now try to login to

MAKE.MNJ - the server (mnj.aoc.nrao.edu); when prompted for

MAKE.MNJ - a password, just hit the enter or return key.

Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs at mnj.aoc.nrao.edu:2401/home/aipssrc/cvs

CVS password:

MAKE.MNJ - Created /astro/users/adrienne/do_daily.shower

MAKE.MNJ - Please inspect it to make sure it fits your needs.

MAKE.MNJ - Press <RETURN> when ready to proceed...:

MAKE.MNJ - You might want to add a crontab entry, e.g.

30 1 * * 1-6 /astro/users/adrienne/do_daily.shower

MAKE.MNJ - when you are ready to start the MNJ.

MAKE.MNJ - Your configuration for the AIPS midnight job is complete.

AipsWiz: =========================================================

AipsWiz: MAKE.MNJ seemed to work (LASTGOOD.DOC found)

AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to continue...:

AipsWiz: =========================================================

AipsWiz:  =====> start INSTEP2 and INSTEP4...

This takes hours, is VERY verbose (lots of output).

It compiles the AIPS libraries (INSTEP2),

and then links the 400 or so AIPS tasks (INSTEP4).

We can start it now, or you can run it yourself later

(instructions will be given if you do it later).

AipsWiz: ==> Shall I start INSTEP2 and then INSTEP4 here, now? [Y]: N

AipsWiz: OK.  Here are the instructions for your shell:

AipsWiz: 	source /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/LOGIN.CSH; $CDTST

	cd /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/INSTALL

	( ( INSTEP2 >/dev/null ) >& INSTEP2.ERRS & )

AipsWiz: (and likewise for INSTEP4 thereafter)

AipsWiz: This lets you log out and check progress later via

	tail -f INSTEP2.LOG

AipsWiz: (or INSTEP4.LOG depending on which step you're doing)

AipsWiz: One disadvantage is that the INSTEPn's are *very* hard to

AipsWiz: interrupt or stop if bad things happen!  If you prefer, you

AipsWiz: can just type ./INSTEP2 and leave it run in that window

AipsWiz: (and later INSTEP4).

AipsWiz: When INSTEP4 is done, give the commands:

	RUN FILAIP

	RUN POPSGN

AipsWiz: to generate the (vital!) memory files.  FILAIP may give some

AipsWiz: errors about files already existing; you can ignore them.

AipsWiz: Finally, enable a cron job to run the do_daily script that

AipsWiz: was created by MAKE.MNJ above.

AipsWiz: This script has done all it can for you.  Good luck!

[adrienne at shower build]$ ls

31DEC06.tar.gz  31DEC06.tar.gz.md5sum  install.pl  midnightJobInstr.txt

[adrienne at shower build]$ cd ..

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ ls

AIPS  build

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ cd ..

[adrienne at shower tmp]$ ls

AIPS

[adrienne at shower tmp]$ cd ..

[adrienne at shower /local]$ ls

lost+found  tmp

[adrienne at shower /local]$ cd tmp/

[adrienne at shower tmp]$ ls

AIPS

[adrienne at shower tmp]$ cd ASIPS/

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ ls

AIPS  build

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ cd AIPS/

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ ls

31DEC06       AIPSPATH.SH  HOSTS.LIST  PRDEVS.SH  START_AIPS       TVDEVS.SH

AIPS.BOOT     DA00         HOSTS.SH    REGISTER   START_TPSERVERS

AIPSASSN.CSH  DATA         LOGIN.CSH   RUN        START_TVSERVERS

AIPSASSN.SH   FITS         LOGIN.SH    SETNAME    TEXT

AIPSPATH.CSH  HOSTS.CSH    OFM         SETUNAME   TVALT

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ ./START_AIPS tv=local

START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV

You have a choice of 4 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description

     1. [     PS] Mailroom B&W

     2. [PS-CMYK] Mailroom Color

     3. [     PS] Undergrad

     4. [     PS] N-body Shop

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:

START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Mailroom B&W

START_AIPS:  - system name eris|eris, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:

  (Using global default file /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)

   Disk 1 (1) is /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/DATA/SHOWER_1

Tape assignments:

   Tape 1 is REMOTE

   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called shower

START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on SHOWER

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on shower asynchronously

START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...

START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on SHOWER asynchronously...

Can't find /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD/ZSTRTA.EXE

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ STARTPMON: [SHOWER] Cannot find /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD/TPMON.EXE

STARTPMON: [SHOWER] Will NOT start any TPMON daemons.

UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on shower

UNIXSERVERS: Cannot find TVSERV.EXE in /local/tmp/AIPS/AIPS/31DEC06/LINUX/LOAD

UNIXSERVERS: This is a FATAL error.  Inform the AIPS manager.

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ ls

31DEC06       AIPSPATH.SH  HOSTS.LIST  PRDEVS.SH  START_AIPS       TVDEVS.SH

AIPS.BOOT     DA00         HOSTS.SH    REGISTER   START_TPSERVERS

AIPSASSN.CSH  DATA         LOGIN.CSH   RUN        START_TVSERVERS

AIPSASSN.SH   FITS         LOGIN.SH    SETNAME    TEXT

AIPSPATH.CSH  HOSTS.CSH    OFM         SETUNAME   TVALT

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ script

Script started, file is typescript

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ exitexit

Script done, file is typescript

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ ls

31DEC06       AIPSPATH.SH  HOSTS.LIST  PRDEVS.SH  START_AIPS       TVDEVS.SH

AIPS.BOOT     DA00         HOSTS.SH    REGISTER   START_TPSERVERS  typescript

AIPSASSN.CSH  DATA         LOGIN.CSH   RUN        START_TVSERVERS

AIPSASSN.SH   FITS         LOGIN.SH    SETNAME    TEXT

AIPSPATH.CSH  HOSTS.CSH    OFM         SETUNAME   TVALT

[adrienne at shower AIPS]$ exit

exit

Script done on Wed Oct 18 12:09:57 2006