[daip] Radio Astronomy question

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 11 17:08:34 EDT 2006

Dear Greg,

Well, it all depends on what you want to do.  I think the Sun system you
described would probably work but since AIPS is not parallelized it
would not take full advantage of the 12 processors, so it might run a
little slow on the 400MHz processors.  A Pentium 4, would work too and
if it was faster than 400MHz would probably give you better performance.
  We now support MacOS, as well.  As for diskspace, again, it depends on
what you want to do.  AIPS itself needs around 700Mb (this is for the
binary install).

Let me describe my desktop computer, it is a 2.1 GHz Pentium 4 with 60Gb
disk and runs Redhat(Enterprise) Linux.  The speed is plenty for what I
usually do, which is VLBA continuum, it would be slow for spectral line
or huge data sets.  The disk space is barely sufficient, but I usually
work on many datasets at once and I have other work stuff on the
computer.  My typical dataset is 1-2Gb.  VLA continuum would be smaller,
spectral line would be bigger, and note that you need several times the
size of the dataset to reduce the data in AIPS efficiently.

If you have more questions, please feel free to contact us.

Cheers,

Amy Mioduszewski
Support Scientist
National Radio Astronomy Observatory