[daip] Radio Astronomy question

Alheid, Gregory alheidgj at upmc.edu
Wed Oct 11 11:56:33 EDT 2006

Sirs,

I'm a member of Amateur Astronomers Association of
Pittsburgh (AAAP) and I know that our group is
interested in doing Radio Astronomy.

My question has to do with the computer resources
needed to do this work. I have previously looked
at the AIPS software used by NRAO and that it is
provided to run on Sun Microsystems hardware as
well as Linux systems.

Anyway the company I work for is retiring Sun E6500
and E5000 systems with twelve 400 MHz processors each.

Are these Sun systems overkill to run the AIPS software
or would a Pentium IV be adequate for this task.

Also what are the disk storage requirements to do this?

Thank you for your time,

Greg Alheid
Operating System Engineer
UPMC Health System