[daip] Help with Aips

b.d.moloney at student.ucc.ie b.d.moloney at student.ucc.ie
Tue May 16 11:59:50 EDT 2006

Hello,
My name is Brian Moloney, I'm working with Denise Gabuzda in
Cork, Ireland. The reason I am writing is because I recently
came across a problem with AIPS and Cormac Reynolds from
JIVE told me to ask you guys.

Recently I had to replace the motherboard on my computer,
and since then I have not been able to get the MSGSRV and TV
screen to come up when I execute AIPS. An error message
comes up when AIPS loads that states the following (I
included the whole lot, just in case):

[aips at caracal ~]$ aips
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the 1300 PS NONE PS
laser jet
START_AIPS:  - system name AGN_Laserjet|HP, AIPS type hp

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /home/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/CARACAL_6
   Disk 2 (2) is /home/aips/DATA/CARACAL_4
   Disk 3 (3) is /home/aips/DATA/CARACAL_1
   Disk 4 (4) is /home/aips/DATA/CARACAL_3
   Disk 5 (5) is /home/aips/DATA/CARACAL_5
   Disk 6 (6) is /home/aips/DATA/CARACAL_2

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is DAT on caracal on CARACAL
   Tape 2 is REMOTE
   Tape 3 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called
caracal
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on caracal asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on CARACAL
asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC03) at
priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host caracal, user
aips
XASERVERS: Start XAS on caracal, DISPLAY caracal:0
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on caracal, DISPLAY
caracal:0
STARTPMON: [CARACAL] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
STARTPMON: [CARACAL] Starting TPMON2 with output SUPPRESSED
ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt1 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on caracal, DISPLAY
caracal:0
XAS: cannot connect to X server caracal:0
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: caracal:0
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: caracal:0

Now, I have checked /etc/services and compared it to the
other computers in the lab (that work) and as far as I can
see it looks identical. Also, it was possible for Cormac to
log in from Jive and get the tv screen working remotely but
still nothing could get it to work on this computer. Have
you guys come across this problem before? I'm guessing that
it must be some local setting that is incorrect but I don't
know where to look (I'm really not too comfortable with
Linux, windows has completely corrupted me!).

It would be great if you guys had some ideas for what I
could do. Or if, by chance you have come across it before
and know what I should do, that would also be great.

Thanks for your time,
Brian