[daip] AIPS on MAC OSX

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 31 16:23:23 EST 2006

After conferring with my erstwhile sysadmin colleagues, I think this is
the easiest way to proceed.

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:14:27 -0700, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
   said:

> Dr. Sylvie F. Beaulieu writes:

>> I cannot find a way to create an "aipsman" group. I was told that on
>> a MAC, the file /etc/group is different than the one on a Linux/Unix
>> system

It is.  However, here is a quick recipe for creating and populating the
aipsman group:

echo 'aipsman:*:9200:sbeaulieu,egreisen,pmurphy' | niload group .

Note the trailing dot; that's VERY important!

However, you should replace 9200 with a suitable number for group ID
(GID; use the command "nidump group . | less" to see what numbers are in
use).  You may want to check with your local admins to avoid a group ID
clash in case you ever network the machine.

You should also replace the account names appropriately; I added several
just to illustrate the syntax (which is identical to that of the usual
/etc/group file).

> The Mac experts are debating tools to play with groups but suggest
> that you could destroy your computer with a minor typo in those tools

This refers to the "Netinfo" GUI based tool.  If you stick to using
nidump (passive) and niload (active) as shown above, there should not be
a problem.

Hope this helps.

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Senior Software Engineer, ALMA Computing IPT
 NRAO Computing Security Manager       Head, NRAO WebAdmin Working Group
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813