[daip] Re: aips temp k

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 29 11:59:17 EST 2006

Wendy Lane Peters writes:
 > I have a question about the temp areas in aips (temp K, core).
 >
 > Is there some reasonable way to increase the amount of space, either
 > during or post installation of aips?  I really need to upgrade to
 > 31DEC06 on my laptop so either will do.
 >
 > I can usually manage to work around whatever restrictions I have on
 > the core space, but I keep getting "blew temp k" midway through my
 > runfiles.  If there is some way to clean out temp k without losing
 > every variable/array I've already set I can do that also; I just don't
 > know how.

You do not mean simply RUN files, but RUN files that contain
procedures that you then execute.  This error would not occur in a
simple script file because the TEMP area is cleared on each line of
regular input.  There is a verb CLRTEMP that can be used.  It can make
a proc fail if there are temporary strings that you still need to use
after that command.  But I find that is is pretty safe.  The space
that is eaten up is eaten by fancy string processing usually - i.e.
substr and concatenation operations.

You probably want to install 31DEC06 as a binary (they are faster
unless you have also bought the "expensive" compilers).  Of course,
then you cannot compile your own code so you may need to stay with
compiling your own.