[daip] AIPS/VLA query

Catherine Brocksopp cb4 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 12:52:08 EST 2006

I have obtained your email address from the VLA webpages but am not sure
if it is the right address to send a data reduction query. If not then
please could you let me know who I could contact for help instead.

I am working on some VLA data which was obtained a few years ago by my
collaborators. In particular I am trying to perform some polarisation
calibration on it, following the instructions in the cookbook, but am
getting worryingly large errors on the resultant absolute linear
polarisation angle (for 3C286). This is at L, C and X band.

According to the cookbook, if the errors are high then I should go back
and do more flagging - but I have reached the point at which I don't feel
there is anything left to flag. Is there anything else I should be doing
in order to work out where the error lies? As far as I can tell,
calibration of the phase calibrator (using PCAL) has worked with no
problems.

Any help you can give would be very much appreciated

Many thanks
Catherine Brocksopp