[daip] AIPS TVSERVER help!

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Jul 22 10:24:40 EDT 2006

ttp2103 at columbia.edu writes:

 > MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in use

AIPS uses a specific Inet port number, usually 5000, to do Inet
connections to the TV.  It uses other specific numbers to do the
connections to the tek and MSG servers and the remote tape TPMONs.
For some reason 5000 seems to be in use on the one connection.

I have seen this error frequently, when I run aips and then kill the
TV.  The port remains in use for some time - even up to 10 minutes -
before it can be taken again.  A thing to check is whether some other
XAS process is running but it is possible that something else is using
that number although I do not thinkl the port can be assigned to two
things at once.  The assignment is done in the /etc/serrvices file to
name sssin.

If you do not need to talk over the internet to the TV then tv=local
uses unix sockets and this problem cannot arise.