[daip] Re: Re: debian

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 24 10:37:47 EST 2006

ketan desai writes:
 > [Hello Eric!  I hope things are going well out there.]
 >
 > Pat, actually I take my previous email back.
 >
 > 1) the installation seems to have gone quite smoothly.  I haven't run the
 > DDT yet.
 >     maybe sometime in the next decade ?  :)
 >
 > 2) although, obviously instep2 and instep4 could be written in perl -
 > there's no real
 >     need to do so.   However - perl is available pretty much everywhere now
 > and
 >     writing this in perl might make some parts of it easier to read -
 > especially using
 >     here-files and redirection.  I was offering to do the work simply
 > because I thought
 >     maybe it hadn't been done due to lack of manpower.  No offence was
 > intended
 >     with this suggestion...  :)

     Re-writes are only for things that need to change.  They work
fine and we hope no one wants to read them.  They should not have to.

 > 3) saw that some time ago (a decade?) AIPS had a shared library installation
 > option.  What would it take to bring that back ?   My problem is mainly CPU
 > and memory and only to a lesser extent - diskspace.  I would like to use
 > shared libraries so I can build smaller binaries that I can load faster with
 > smaller memory footprints.  Also I am interested in modifying programs so I
 > figured link time would be smaller with shared libraries ?

     I forget what it takes for shared libraries - I assume the main
thing is some link editor options.  They could be put in LDOPTS.

 > 4) What is the DOTWOLIB option (I saw it in .AIPSRC) ?

      This 0-byte file tells it to make a LIBRDBG collection of
libraries on COMRPL so that one can do debug as well as optimize
versions of load modules.

 > 5) on starting aips:
 >     I don't want to edit my services file.
 >     I would just like to always start aips as 'aips tv=local' .
 >     Could we have that as an installation option ?
 >     I suppose something similar for tapes and tek and msgserv windows would
 > be nice too.

     tv=local already applies to tek and msg - you can live with a
tape error message if you never need TPMON (or add tpok on the command
line).

 > 6) a few comments on the install:
 >     Since I had a new installation, I was perfectly willing to accept the
 >     defaults on many of the questions.
 >     Since install.pl has a restart capability (which says to me that its
 > very close...)
 >     Could install.pl - on a **new install** - offer to first try to find
 > reasonable defaults for all
 >     answers and fall back to the usual method if something fails.

       Actually install.pl does fairly well finding sensible defaults
for most things when the .AIPSRC file does not specify them.  Is there
something else that could be defaulted that wasn't?

Eric Greisen