[daip] IBM compiler --no longer supports OS X

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 3 18:53:12 EST 2006

Glenn Morrison writes:

 > Since IBM (because Apple stopped using IBM chips) no longer supports
 > their compilers for Mac OS X do you know if absoft compilers are just
 > as good?

The compiler works fine on the machine we are using for it and the
binaries work fine on G4 and G5 chips on all OS versions now around.
IBM is not overhauling the compiler to solve certain OS version issues
with the latest OS - but we could not go to that OS on pippin unless
all our users did anyway.

It was my impression that the Absoft compiler is the IBM compiler and
so it is unclear what will now happen.  We have not tested the Absoft
as yet and have a temptation to try it but no real urgency.