[daip] error codes in AIPS

Stan Kurtz s.kurtz at astrosmo.unam.mx
Wed Feb 15 21:05:45 EST 2006

Hi, I've encountered a tape error, and i just wanted to check with you all,
in case it's something obvious that you might know immediately what the
problem is.   The dialogue is this:

>inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    'PARICUTIN                 Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number
>mount
AIPS 1: Mounted on DAT tape drive HP      C1537A on host paricutin
>tph
AIPS 1: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE     99
AIPS 1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR  99 TO paricutin
AIPS 1: TAPIO: ERROR  99 OPENING FILE
AIPS 1: INVALID TAPE

The error response is instantaneous; it doesn't even try to read the tape.

I've tracked it down as far as ./APL/DEV/ZI32IL.FOR but I can't figure
anything out past that point.
If it would refuse to even mount the tape, that would make a bit more
sense to me.  But I don't see why it would do the mount, then refuse
to read/write the tape.
It is not clear if remote-mounts have worked in the past or if this is
the first time its been tried.

The remote host is a solaris machine running 31DEC04 and the computer
attempting access is a linux box with 31DEC03.
Both TPHOSTS files have 192.168.2.*, which includes both machines.

You'll be pleased to know that the reason for wanting to remote-mount the
drive is so I can do a back-up prior to installing 31DEC06, running a
midnight job.

Best regards,
Stan