[daip] problem finding images in AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 14 15:55:57 EST 2006

Robert F Willson writes:

 >   I'm running the 31DEC02 version of AIPS on my LINUX machine and today
 > ran into a problem: WHen I try to display an image (.MA) by saying
 > TVALL, I get the message "TVFIND: NO MA IMAGES ARE ON ACCORDING TO
 > CATALOG"
 >
 > I hadn't used AIPS in a while (probably 3 months) and in the meantime,
 > my IP address changed from 130.64.40.180 to 130.64.40.120. This has
 > happened several times since I installed AIPS and each time I changed
 > the appropriate line in HOSTS.LIST as well as the names of the data
 > directories in DA00 and DATA (i.e. from DHCP40-180_1 to DHCP40-120_1.
 > I can access the image and UV files and run routines such as CNTR which
 > plots contours of the images on the AIPS TV window, but I haven't had
 > any luck getting the images themselves to display using TVALL. I seem
 > to remember having a similar problem a while ago, but can't recall how
 > I fixed it. Any ideas?

 Amy already suggested clearing any old TVs away and trying again.  I
cannot find any bug in the code that caused this (other than a brief
version of TVALL in the 31DEC04 version).

I would like to point out that we now have a way to install aips as
LAPTOP='YES' which then uses LOCALHOST as the host name and saves you
from the interminable IP address changes.  Lots of other things have
been upgraded including making aips much easier to install (there is a
binary install even).  See the aipsletters at
         http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/
for details.

Note that TVALL is a procedure.

  TVOFF(1234); GROFF(1234); GROFF(5678);
  J=GRCH;GRCH=8;GRCL;GRCH=J;
  GRCL;TVCL;OFFZOOM;
  TVLOD;
  TVON(TVCH);
  TVWED(16);TVWLAB;
  TVFID;

You could try running the latest form of it one step at a time to see
where it is failing but I suspect that it is at the TVWED(16) command.