[daip] Problem in AIPS Installation

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Sun Dec 31 15:08:29 EST 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:10:14 -0500 (EST), "Poonam Chandra"
   <pchandra at nrao.edu> said:

>    I have a Dell Inspiron 710m laptop with Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy eft installed
> on it. I am trying to install 31Dec07 version of AIPS. I tried to
> install with GCC version 3.4.4 as well as default gcc 4.1.2 of the
> Ubuntu 6.10. In both the cases, it gives following error in INSTEP 4. I
> have no clue why I am getting this error. I would really appreciate if
> you could help me.

I'll answer as I suspect the regular DAIP crew are not on-line for
several days.

Perhaps it would be better if you did a binary install:

   perl install.pl -n

so you don't have to do any compilation.

But if you are set on building from source (even NRAO/CV doesn't do this
in our midnight jobs anymore, the pre-built binaries are more convenient
and run faster), I think I know what you need:

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses

You need (as root, or using the synaptic package manager) to install the
libncurses5 package.  If you don't use synaptic (it's a GUI tool found
under the "system" menu on the panel, Administration section), then do:

   sudo apt-get libncurses5

to install the package.

There is one quirk we've encountered with AIPS on Ubuntu systems (my
laptop runs Ubuntu 6.06 currently which is why I know).  The XASERVERS
script does not work well.  I've made some personal tweaks to it and
you're welcome to try these by putting this in your $SYSLOCAL area:

    http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/XASERVERS

(and make sure to "chmod +x XASERVERS" after saving).  It will override
the $SYSUNIX version.

Hope this helps.  Happy New Year!

 - Pat (a former AIP)

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Senior Software Engineer, ALMA Computing IPT
 NRAO Computing Security Manager       Head, NRAO WebAdmin Working Group
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813