[daip] Problem in AIPS Installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Dec 31 14:57:40 EST 2006

Poonam Chandra writes:
 > Dear AIPS Helpdesk,
 >    I have a Dell Inspiron 710m laptop with Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy eft installed
 > on it. I am trying to install 31Dec07 version of AIPS. I tried to
 > install with GCC version 3.4.4 as well as default gcc 4.1.2 of the
 > Ubuntu 6.10. In both the cases, it gives following error in INSTEP 4. I
 > have no clue why I am getting this error. I would really appreciate if
 > you could help me.

     I have no idea whether the 4.1.2 compiler will work for aips - it
has not been tested and several of the 4.x.x compilers have failed to
compile aips, yet say run it correctly.

     Second comment - why compile aips locally?  Are you planning to
write aips tasks yourself?  If not, the binary installation gets you
load modules that run significantly faster than those from the GNU
compiler.  To install the binary version go to your aips_root area and
enter       perl install.pl -n
You may have to edit the ~/.AIPSRC file to get it to stop complainingg
about the change to network (binary) install.

     The error below arises from a simple bit of code that was not
installed when your OS was

 > /home/soni/Softwares/AIPS/31DEC07/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.EXE
 > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses

Install the RPM for ncurses-devel and this library will be present.