[daip] aips installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 26 12:50:59 EST 2006

I could not find cvs on your system - I expect that it has not been
installed.  Therefore, I could not set up the MNJ to update your
system.  It i9s very clear that rsync on your machine is quite sick.
I could get it to copy load modules one at a time but it would hang on
them sometimes for days until a CTRL-C allowed the proc to continue.
I re-ran install.pl and one of the rsync's hung there too although all
the rest realized that all the files have been copied and went on
rapidly as they should.  I fear that once we set up the mnj, that
rsync will still be a problem.  I believe that it has been installed
or set up improperly on your machine.

For the Inet TVs et al to work the system services need to be revised
by someone with root privilege.

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3

The shared memoryupper limit may have to be raised for the TV also.
See http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/