[daip] Starting a TV window on a different machine

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 23 16:51:49 EDT 2006

Sean Dougherty writes:
 > Eric,
 >
 > Sorry to bother you with what may seem like a trivial thing to someone
 > who wrote the XAS stuff in the first place.
 >
 > I have spent the past hour trying to start a TV window on the machine
 > I'm sitting in front of, but running aips on a remote machine. I can get
 > the MSGSRV and TEKSRV  windows to start using tv=local, but my TV is
 > having a major problem, associated with ssh no doubt. Here is the
 > message after running:
 >
 > aips tv=local pr=1 tpok
 >
 > ?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV2 on localhost
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS2 on localhost, DISPLAY localhost:10.0
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV2 on localhost, display
 > localhost:10.0
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV2 on localhost, display
 > localhost:10.0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
 > X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
 > resource denied)
 >   Major opcode of failed request:  145 (MIT-SHM)
 >   Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
 >   Serial number of failed request:  27

You are fooling "Mother AIPS" and that is causing trouble.  the best
thing to do is have a sdesktp allowed top run aips and start the
servers on it either locally or by having the compute server do it.
Your scheme can work but XAS thinks you want shared memory which of
course cannot work.  See HELP XAS for info to change the .Xdefaults
options which are probably on your desktop or just possibly on your
compute server.  Add

AIPStv*useSharedMemory: 0

to ~/.Xdefaults

and then