[daip] Re: AIPS on MAC OSX continue

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 18 19:23:37 EDT 2006

Dr. Sylvie F. Beaulieu writes:

 > I realise that I forgot to let you know that your last
 > suggestion i.e. setting aips with tv=local, is working
 > well.

    Excellent - there must be some firwall stopping the Inet
connection.

 > Now, on the same subject, i.e. aips on a mac, do you know
 > if the current binaries you have for macs will be ok for
 > the latest "MacBook Pro". This one has an Intel chip.
 >
 > I have to install aips on such a laptop and I am uncertain
 > if the binaries will be ok or if I need to compile the whole
 > of aips.

     The binaries will not work - they are for a different
architecture off cpu (including the bytes in the opposite order).  In
fact, Macs of PPC and Intel architectures may not share aips data
except via FITS files.

     We do not yet have a Mac Intel in house - although we have tested
the architecture.  We just ordered one today and should have full
binary support sometime in the not too distant future.