[daip] help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 7 10:28:02 EDT 2005

V Venkataraman writes:

 > I have created a radio contour map by running IMAGR task in AIPS. Now i
 > want to convert this radio contour map with inclass ICL001 in to a
 > FITS file, inorder to overlay the radio contours on my NIR image. I would
 > like to know the task in AIPS which does this transformation in to its
 > fits file.

The only reason to convert an aips file into a FITS file is to export
it - either to a backup tape or to another software package.  The
tasks that will do this are called FITTP and FITAB.  The CookBook
chapter 5 at the end mentions these as does chapter 11.

However, aips has many tools for comparing images.  Read the NIR FITS
image into aips, convert the coordinates of one of the images to match
those of the other (with OHGEO or HGEOM) and then there are numerous
things to do - with the TV, the plot tasks (e.g.GREYS, KNTR, PCNTR),
COMB to combine the images, etc.  These are all done inside AIPS
rather than in FITS.

Let me recommend the CookBook to you.  It is full of helpful
information.  The most recent version is available from
    http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/cook.html
including cross-linked pdf and html forms.  The information is mostly
okay for your older version although not entirely.  The PostScript
files are on your system
     $AIPS_ROOT/TEXT/PUBL/COOK*.PS