[daip] (no subject)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 6 11:26:09 EDT 2005

Ramesh Balasubramanyam writes:

Your main error was to send an e-mail with no subject.  If we were
receiving spam at our usual rate I would have deleted your mail
without a second look.  I accidentally noticed the mail address and
decided to check.

 >  I wish to install AIPS on Fedora Core 4 OS, running on a 64 bit AMD
 > Athlon 2800+ machine. Will the build from the source work? Can I take
 > advantage of the 64 bit arch.?  What are the other s/w (g77, gcc, pgplot
 > etc.) that I need to have for a successful installation of AIPS? I looked
 > for this info on your web pages and could not locate. But, if I had been
 > sloppy, excuse me and point me to the right URL(s). Thanks.

The 31DEC05 version of AIPS has recently had the dynamic memory code
corrected to use INTEGER*8 for pointers on 64-bit computers.  All
tasks that use dynamic memory, except for a special trick in FRING,
are then able to use whatever memory the system throws at it.  In
general, AIPS does not need really large memory (i.e. > 2 gigabytes)
but these systems sometimes assign dynamic memory a very long way from
program memory (in virtual address space).

If you wish to install AIPS from source, you will obviously require
compillers.  The usual ones are g77 and gcc and there is a substantial
discussion of them on the aips home page
    http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips
The summary is that gcc versions 3.2.3 and 3.4.3 and 3.4.4 all seem to
work okay.  Versions 3.4.2, 3.3.x, and 4.0 do not work with aips.

You will need to have ncurses and X11 developers code loaded with your
system but you do not need anything else.  We do not use pgplot or
cfitsio or other such packages.