[daip] Moving user files

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 1 10:49:42 EDT 2005

Roderick Johnstone writes:

 > Success!!! Very many thanks.
 >
 > So, the new aips seems to run fine on both the Athlons and the P4
 > systems, and it seems to pick up the right shareables.
 >
 > Also, we ran the REUSE program and its mostly converted the files fine.
 > There are one or two, well 53 out of 33376 files that were not converted
 > to a .xxx file. I wonder if you can advise why this could be. The only
 > thought that occurs to me is that these files were somehow orphaned from
 > the aips catalogue file because eg a program crashed and the file still
 > exists but there is not catlogue entry for it. Is that posible?
 >
 > Can you think of anything we could do to check what these files are?

I could tell you more if I saw the file names.

Sometimes the CA file vanishes and we have another of the - outside
AIPS - RUN programs.  If the files have accompanying CB files
(headers) then
RUN RECAT
may recover them.  You would have to force aips back into the public
catalog mode (delete $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/<hostname>/SP*, RUN FILAIP from
an older version of AIPS - the new one will not let you make public
catalogs, then RUN RECAT)

If you do not have an older FILAIP, I may need to make a mod of RECAT
for you.  (It could force public catalogs when it starts and all
should work to recover these 53 files.)  I could put it in my
anonymous ftp site..

Eric