[daip] Odd behavior in Y2K-LARGE+ on AMD64 AIPS

Samuel Conner samuelconner at mail.arczip.com
Fri Oct 14 17:07:04 EDT 2005

To Whom it may concern,

   I have installed 31DEC04 AIPS to my AMD64 machine and am now exercising it on the Y2K tests.

   The SMALL and MEDIUM tests terminate normally and the errors are in the range 10-15 bits maximum and several bits better than than rms.

   On the LARGE size, TCODE = 'TEST' operation, CALIB dies at the place that it is seeking a common reference antenna for the 3 different groups of solutions. I noticed that the inputs to CALIB were rather sparse, and that REFANT was not set. An experimental re-execute of CALIB with REFANT set to 15 resulted in a seemingly successful termination (of CALIB).

   I cannot proceed with the Y2K-LARGE test as the procs reset REFANT to 0 during execution.

  The HUGE test dies at the outset of an IMAGR execution.

Q:  Is this a known failure mode on other systems?

Q:  I am concerned that if there are dynamic linkings happening as the .EXEs are invoked, that the wrong (32 bit) libraries may be getting linked. Should I be fiddling with environment variables?

  I did not compile with DEBUG libs, but I could do that easily if I must to sort this out.

  I am getting close; thanks for your help.

Sincerely yours,

Sam Conner