[daip] Question about AIPS on a Mac powerbook

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 12 04:35:43 EDT 2005

Dayton Jones writes:
 > Greetings.  I had AIPS running on a Mac powerbook several months
 > ago, but then had a long interval where it was not possible to
 > run the midnight job.  A few days ago I got the midnight job
 > re-started on my Mac, and of course had a huge backlog of updates.
 > Since then, I find that AIPS no longer runs.  Instead, I get the
 > following error:

     What was the failure in the MNJ?  A firewall issue on your side?

 > >dyld: AIPS1 Undefined symbols:
 > >AIPS1 undefined reference to _mbrlen expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
 > >AIPS1 undefined reference to _mbrtowc expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
 > >AIPS1 undefined reference to _wcwidth expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
 > >Trace/BPT trap

      These are references to a wide character (whatever that is)
standard BSD functions visible in man brlen etc.  Odd that you do not
have these.

 > I am running the same version of the Mac operating system as I
 > had been previously (10.2.8).  Is there anything in the last few
 > months of updates to 31DEC05 AIPS (since mid-June) that might be
 > the cause of these three undefined variables?  Thank you for any
 > suggestions you may have.  Cheers,

I am suprised that AIPS worked on a 10.2 system.  The machine we use
to build is a 10.3.  But these seem rather trivial failures...

Perhaps Wes Young when he comes in about 6 hours from now may have an
idea.