[daip] Re: displaying on a mac

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 6 03:52:08 EDT 2005

Antara Basu-Zych writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > I found the solution to my last problem... (trying to get the
 > displays to work on my Mac while ssh-ing into our Sun network).
 >
 > In calling aips, I should use:
 > aips tv=local:a

     This runs an XASa on the sun computer with the $DISPLAY pointed
at your Mac.  If your LAN is very fast this is okay.  We set up things
differently so that there is a Mac version of aips as well as a Sun
(and Linux) all using the same shared $AIPS_ROOT.  Then XAS runs on
the Mac (or other desktop) and the compute server connects to it via a
socket.  Generally this us rather faster.

 > So the displays are working fine now, and adverbs in AIPS also seem
 > to work, but the AIPS verbs do not. I get the following error messages:
 >
 > AIPS 1: ZDIR: COULD NOT TRANSLATE LOGICAL =
 > AIPS 1: ZDIR: DATA
 > AIPS 1: ZTXMAT ERROR =      2
 > AIPS 1: SYNTAX!

The adverb VERSION has gotten trash in it which is restored from the
LASTEXIT file.  Try VERSION=' '; INP whatever.  If the other adverbs
also appear trashed, do a RESTORE 0.  (Did you copy your data files
from one machine to another? - esp. one machine of opposite byte order
from the other?  Suns and Macs are the same big-endian order, Linux is
little endian.)

 > And looking back to the start-up messages, I find the errors:
 > ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
 > MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN

The message file for user 1 is used by service programs and when you
start aips but have not yet entered another user number.  If it is
missing the messages are lost but normally this does not matter at
all.