[daip] problem in installing 31DEC05 AIPS version on laptop

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 30 15:19:52 EST 2005

Rachel Osten writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm having a weird problem installing 31DEC05 on my Linux laptop,
 > platypus (AIPS was installed at NRAO-CV, but the laptop is now with me
 > at UMd).  The previous version of AIPS installed was 31DEC03, and I was
 > having problems getting AIPS to work after a forced (unclean) shutdown,
 > so decided to instal the latest version.  I downloaded the tarball and
 > the install.pl files, and followed the instructions for using the
 > install wizard.  All seemed to be going well, and I ran INSTEP2 and
 > INSTEP4 without incident.  When  the wizard tried to then run FILAIP, it
 > reported an error:
 >
 > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 > Data disk assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /export/data_1/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
 > DADEVS.PL)
 > DADEVS.PL error - no disks selected at all
 > This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.

 > HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
 > program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
 > not being able to access the message file.  If you think
 > there should have been some data areas defined, please
 > check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
 > If you want to proceed, enter YES (uppercase) now:
 > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 >
 > I checked /export/data_1/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and there are data disks
 > in there -- they are the ones which existed from the previous version of
 > AIPS.  These are also the directories I put in at step 7 in the install
 > wizard.  I can't find anything obviously wrong in AIPSASSN.SH.  One
 > thing I noticed is that I can't find the file $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH.  I'm
 > assuming that was supposed to be created during the install process?

A guess.  What does the new installation think your computer name is?
If you said yes to the laptop question it will be LOCALHOST.  Your old
data areas almost certainly same something else, e.g. ELSE.  To fix
this

cd $AIPS_ROOT/DA00
ln -s ELSE LOCALHOST
edit DADEVS.LIST and NETSP to make parallel entries for LOCALHOST_n as
                           are present of ELSE_n

cd $AIPS_ROOT/DATA
ln -s ELSE_1 LOCALHOST_1
ln -s ELSE_2 LOCALHOST_2
etc

(or if the data areas are actually elsewhere in the DADEVS.LIST make
those link files elsewhere)

The start up looks for data areas under the name by which it calls the
host - which is how we manage one DADEVS.LIST for > 100 computers.