[daip] Re: CLCOR atmospheric corrections

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 22 11:16:17 EST 2005

Mark Reid writes:

 >    I don't know if you've been following the exchange between
 > me and Leonia.  I really don't understand the bottom line.
 > Can you help explain?

I have tried to follow in general terms.  I have just talked to Leonia
and this is what I understand.

For some antenna, you have edited the output of DELZN so that there
are calibration entries for only one time.  At that point you have
guaranteed that after CLCOR, another DELZN will not get 0's for ansers
on that antenna.  The reason is that CLCOR will take the one delay
value and put it into every delay spot in the CL table.  It will take
the one rate value and put it into every rate spot in the CL table
(for that antenna).  When DOCAL=2 applies these values, the effective
delay applied to the data will be a small saw-tooth function of time
centered on the fixed delay value and with a fixed slope with time.
Most likely the effect of the rate will be nearly invisible.

The only way to get delays that vary with time is to put different
delays in each of the calibrator times in the CL table.  The rate is
only used to determine the delay to apply at a time between the times
in the CL table.