[daip] New AIPS problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 8 14:56:44 EST 2005

Rather quickly I have done two tests:

1. I ran aips on our AMD 64 machine using the Intel compiler load
   modles.  It worked and had an aips mark with Y2K of 177.  Running
   IMAGR with DOTV=1 worked fine.

2. I build aips with the GNU 3.4.4 compiler.  The changes needed were
   a fix to install.pl to recognize x86_64 machines as LINUX, droppint
   the align double from FDEFAULT, fixing the library path for make of
   XAS, and telling INSTEP4 to ignore a failure of compilation on
   $APGOOP/CL2HF.  It ran DDT and Y2K fine with an aips mark of 165
   and did IMAGR with the TV well also.

You could probably use the former (install.pl -n) but may have to
install a few more libraries on your system.  I seem to remember you
having a missing ncurses library at run time.  This has to be
installed with the ncurse-developer RPM.  We have had trouble with the
Intel compiler being over-enthusiastic in its optimizations.

Alternatively, the 3.4.4 compilers g77 and gcc seem to work so far.  It
may well be the compilers that are in your /usr/bin area.  I believe
that gfortran does not really start until 4.0 and that release has
been a disaster for us.