[daip] Question about starting up TEKserv and MSGserv

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 7 11:08:39 EST 2005

Sally Laurent-Muehleisen writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I recently updated my 31DEC05 version of aips by running the midnight job
 > -- I had failed to run it for awhile since I'd been in the practice of
 > turning off my machine at the end of the day.  After leaving the machine
 > on purposely one night to get to update AIPS, I am now having a minor but
 > annoying problem when I start up AIPS.  I get the error messages:
 >
 > AIPSmsg: Can't execvp $LOAD/MSGSRV.EXE ; sleep 3 : No such file or directory
 > AIPStek: Can't execvp $LOAD/TEKSRV.EXE ; sleep 3 : No such file or directory
 >
 > in the message and tek xterm windows, respectively.  If I then run the
 > command interactively from the windows which AIPS spawns, things are fine.
 >  I believe there was a message sent out via the MNJ mailing list which
 > addressed this, but I can't seem to find it.  I've tried to track down the
 > problem, but haven't been able to do so.  Do you have any suggestions?

I take it youu mean the command $LOAD/MSGSRV.EXE interactively?

In order for a newly spawned xterm to know things like the path and
library path, your .tcshrc, .cshrc, .basrc (depending on shell) file
needs to define $AIPS_ROOT and then "source LOGIN.CSH" or ". LOGIN.SH"
(for bash).

Actually this is a curious message - are you using the binary MNJ or
the compile it yourself version?