[daip] Problem with Other users in AIPS...

Anthony Remijan aremijan at pop900.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed May 18 14:13:26 EDT 2005

Hello Eric,

Ok, here is the situation...We loaded AIPS into my directory as
remijan.  My mentor whose login is hollis has admin privileges and can
read and write to my directories.

Now, he can start AIPS, but it asks for his password at localhost even
though he is working on the same machine I loaded AIPS on.  Here is the
beginning of the problem:

[JANSKY:~/Desktop] hollis% aips

You have a choice of 2 printers. These are:

No. [ type ] Description

1. [ PS] (no description supplied by installer)

2. [ PS] (no description supplied by installer)

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:

START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by
installer)

START_AIPS: - system name
phaser8400dx_on_128.183.35.153|phaser8400dx_on_128.183.35.153, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:

(Using global default file /Users/remijan/Desktop/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST
for DADEVS.PL)

Disk 1 (1) is /Users/remijan/Desktop/AIPS/B/Users/remijan/DATA/JANSKY_1

Disk 2 (2) is
/Users/remijan/Desktop/AIPS/B/Users/remijan/Desktop/AIPS/DATA/JANSKY_1

Tape assignments:

Tape 1 is REMOTE

Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost

TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST localhost ***

START_AIPS: Checking if localhost is reachable via ssh...

hollis at localhost's password:

START_AIPS: Yes it is. Telling localhost to start VERSION=TST

START_AIPS: TV servers asynchronously with INET Socket...

START_AIPS: ******************************************************

START_AIPS: IF THIS FAILS, start AIPS yourself by hand on localhost.

START_AIPS: ******************************************************

START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on JANSKY asynchronously...

So he entered his password and then when asking for the AIPS ID, it
asked for the password again.  We entered it and then the AIPS ID and
AIPS started fine.

I then did a kleenex and tried to start AIPS again.  this time the TV
server did not start:

TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST localhost ***

XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost

XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY localhost:0

XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY localhost:0

TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain

XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!

XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link

XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!

XAS: Using screen width height 2038 720, max grey level 255

MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in use

TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS

XAS: Quitting NOW.

So two questions:
1) why is he needing to enter the password everytime
2) why cant we restart the TV server when we logged back in?

Thanks,
Tony