[daip] Re: Problem with AIPS installation

Anthony Remijan aremijan at pop900.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon May 16 09:35:20 EDT 2005

Hey Eric,

I editted the etc/services file like the following:

sssin           5012/tcp    SSSIN     # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5013/tcp    SSSLOCK   # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5014/tcp    MSGSERV   # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5015/tcp    TEKSERV   # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5016/tcp    AIPSMT0   # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5017/tcp    AIPSMT1   # AIPS remote tape

However, before that even starts I am getting the following error:

[JANSKY:~] remijan% aips

You have a choice of 2 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [     PS] (no description supplied by installer)
     2. [     PS] (no description supplied by installer)

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]: 1
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by
installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name
phaser8400dx_on_128.183.35.153|phaser8400dx_on_128.183.35.153, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file
/Users/remijan/Desktop/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
                  B/Users/remijan/DATA/JANSKY_1 is currently unavailable.
                  B/Users/remijan/Desktop/AIPS/DATA/JANSKY_1 is
currently unavailable.

START_AIPS: Cannot start AIPS because there are no defined data areas!
START_AIPS: (check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*)

All the directories are there and I have read and write permission to
all them...got any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony