[daip] Re: Help setting up AIPS...

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed May 11 14:43:52 EDT 2005

Anthony Remijan writes:

 > I am trying to install AIPS on a Mac with an OS/10 operating system.  It
 > also has all the Linux interfaces as well.

    You are trying to do a TEXT installation - we strongly recommend a
binary installation.  This gets load modules that run up to 50% faster
than those produced by the GNU compilers without having to install the
GNU compilers.

       perl install.pl -n

will run the install proc and MNJ updates will also go the binary
route.

 > Configuring for a powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0 host.
 > *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
 >      target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
 >     (Any other directories should still work fine.)
 > Created "Makefile" in /Users/remijan/gcc-3.3.2
 > ./configure: line 8: cc: command not found
 > *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
 > *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
 > [jansky:~/gcc-3.3.2] remijan%

   You need to get a C compiler from Apple in order to compile the
3.3.2 C compilers.  The binary installation is easier.

You do still need to get X11 from Apple however.