[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 3 17:03:00 EDT 2005

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
To: Christina Lacey <lacey at sc.edu>
Subject: Re: mounting remote data disks
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 15:01:40 -0600

It is easier to describe what we do than to list it (very long list)

In fact, let me tell you what I would prefer to what we actually do
here.

The aips start up looks through DADEVS.LIST for machines whose names
match the current machine (and optionally the machines listed in the
da=h1,h2,h3,... command-line option).  Those disks and any required
disks are all included.

Let me define MAIN as the main machine hosting aips including
$AIPS_ROOT.  It must be mounted to all machines.

Then on MAIN in $AIPS_ROOT/DATA I would make link files such as

ln -s /home/host/AIPS/HOST_1  HOST_1
ln -s /home/host/AIPS/HOST_2  HOST_2

where /home/host is a mountable area on machine HOST. and HOST is
listed in $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST.

In $AIPS_ROOT/DA00 I would make similar link files

ln -s /home/host/AIPS/HOST  HOST

Then on HOST you create directories

/home/host/AIPS
/home/host/AIPS/HOST
/home/host/AIPS/HOST_1
/home/host/AIPS/HOST_2   - this might be better on a second disk if
there is one

The DADEVS.LIST file would list machines as

- -  /home/main/AIPS/ROOT/DATA/HOST_1
- -  /home/main/AIPS/ROOT/DATA/HOST_2

as would NETSP.

If a user logs into host COMP but his data are on HOST then he starts
aips as

   aips da=host

and he will get the disks identified by names HOST and COMP.

This means the students have to pay attention to the machine(s) with
their data.

An alternative is to put a plus sign instead of a - sign in
DADEVS.LIST.  Then that disk area is included always to everyone no
matter what computer they are on.  This will be very slow if you do it
with a lot of disks.

The script SYSETUP is used to set up the DA00 areas for each machine -
all at once with no argument, or one at a time with the name of the
new machine as the argument.

Hope this helps,

Another choice is to force the students to pick a particular machine,
e.g. HOST.  If they are sitting at COMP they can slogin to HOST and
then run on HOST with the displays on COMP.

Eric