[daip] How to obtain MacOSX cdrom of AIPS (Dec'05) distribution?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 28 12:00:21 EST 2005

Keith Feggans writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > >We do not offer a CDrom for 31DEC05 since that version is under active
 > >development.  You may do a binary install and then update it via a
 > >binary MNJ.  See the web page for instructions:
 > >      http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips
 > >Basically you download install.pl and then do a
 > >      perl install.pl -n
 > >where the -n says network (a synonym for binary) and answer the
 > >questions.  It is very much like a regular install except that rsync
 > >is used rather than a compiler.
 >
 > Thanks for the prompt response.
 >
 > To run AIPS on a Mac which of the following do you recommend?
 >
 > Option 1:
 > - download 30 trial version of IBM compiler on Mac.
 > - installed AIPS from the 31DEC05 tar file.
 >
 > Option 2:
 > - request the 31DEC04 cdrom (containing MacOSX binary version).
 > - continue using 31DEC04 version until the newer 31DEC05 cdrom is available.
 >
 > Option 3:
 > - request the 31DEC04 cdrom (containing MacOSX binary version).
 > - upgrade to 31DEC05 via your instructions (does this mean AIPS will
 >     run slower after the upgrade since we are recompiling using GCC
 >     instead of using the faster binaries?).
 >

 > Thanks for any help. We just dont know if we have to do anything special
 > to use Option 1 other than refer to the Mac instructions (i.e. any gotcha's).
 > Keith Feggans for Susan Neff

NONE of the above.

Get the latest install.pl from 31DEC05 from the web site.

Install it with the perl command given above.  It will download IBM
binaries from our ftp server for you to run on your Mac.  It will also
set up a MNJ to allow you to periodically update your version to stay
current witrh the 31DEC05.