[daip] Re: APCAL bug

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 8 20:25:52 EST 2005

Hi Amy & Lorant,

I figured it out.  The sensitivity entered for GBT is about 1.7E+00, a
factor
of almost 20 more than a VLBA antenna, as expected.

HOWEVER, the gain curve is wrong.  The gain column of the GC table
includes polynomial coefficients for each antenna, which are interpreted
as

GAIN = SENS *(A0 + A1*sin(el) + A2*sin^2(el)+...)  or something like
that.  For all the VLBA antennas, A0=1.0E+00, and all other coefficients
are zero.  But for the GBT, A0=0.0E+00 !!!!

Therefore, at some point, somebody made an incorrect entry in the
polynomial coefficients for the GBT gain curve, at least at S band.
Since the leading term is zero, the total gain is very low.

At X band, the first coefficient is 9.590E-01, almost unity, and
therefore appears to be correct.

Cheers,

Jim