[daip] data disks

Dr. Sylvie F. Beaulieu sbeaulieu at phy.ulaval.ca
Mon Mar 7 12:58:29 EST 2005

Quebec, 7.March.2005

Hello,

Is there a way to set up the data disks of any users on a data server
instead of the workstation's local disk?

Example:
Let's have a user who is working on a Sun workstation called "gemini"
but his/her data is on a data server called "algol". And let's suppose
that it is not possible to use the data disk of gemini at all.

If I read the install.pl info properly, it seems like the data disk
has to be on the machine where the user will work.

This is not realistic here since a user does not necessarily work on
the same machine every time. And we have one data server dedicated to
store and backup the data.

I tried using symlink in the /DATA area but when I starts "aips" it
complained that it cannot find a data area. I have verified my
HOSTS.LIST, DADEVS.LIST etc... and all seems ok.

Best regards,

Sylvie.

        Astronome - Dr. Sylvie F. Beaulieu - Astronomer

Universite Laval                 Email : sbeaulieu at phy.ulaval.ca
Dept. de physique                Off.  : (418) 656-2131 ext: 2472
Pavillon Alexandre-Vachon        Sec   : (418) 656-2652
Quebec, (Quebec)                 Fax   : (418) 656-2040
Canada  G1K 7P4

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~beaulieu/index.html