[daip] Re: Troubles reading DAT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 27 11:51:57 EDT 2005

Josh Winn writes:

        Odd, I thought we had tested SunBlade under architecture SUL
with no problem.  I do not know if we tried large than 2 GByte
however.

 > (1) Recompiling AIPS using $ARCH=SUL. This resulted in lots of compiler
 > errors. I assume this is because my machine is not a Sparcstation, it's a
 > SunBlade.

     Time to get serious with information:

what OS are you running?

what compiler are you running?

can you send me a short selection of the errors you got calling it an
Ultra (SUL)?

can you send me a short selection from INSTEP2.LOG where a C routine
is compiled?

 > (2) Downloading a new version of 31DEC05 from NRAO, and re-compiling
 > using $ARCH=SOL.  I verified that CCOPTS.SH had the added line,
 >    COMP="$COMP -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
 > This did not work. I get the same error message as before in FITLD,
 >
 > FITLD1: ZEXPND: EXPANSION FAILED ON FILE DA02:UVD00K001.1PM;      NREC =
 >          149351
 > FITLD1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA02:UVD00K001.1PM;
 > FITLD1: ZERROR: IN ZEXPN2 ERRNO = 27 (File too large)
 > FITLD1: FILE EXPANSION FAILED - QUITTING
 >
 > once the file reaches >2Gb.
 >
 > What is especially bizarre and frustrating to me is that when I was
 > running 31DEC03, I did not have this problem - only after I upgraded did
 > this problem occur, which is making my work impossible.

Have you changed compiler or OS or disk systems between when you build
the 31DEC03 and now?

Our Sun expert cannot remember a parameter that would control whether
a particular file system is allowed to go > 2 GBytes, but I do
remember that there are such parameters somewhere (but maybe not on
Suns).