[daip] Re: question regarding VLA 4IF mode data

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Mon Jul 18 11:42:27 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

I loaded my 4IF spectral line data into another machine running
exactly same version of aips (31DEC04), and it now works properly
on that machine.  I was able to narrow down the problem somewhat,
so let's see if either you or Eric or Pat can offer an answer.

The problem is that my aips thinks all data in the IF=2 are bad
or flagged.  I can split the IF=2 out separately, I can PRTUV,
but no other program seems to recognize that there are valid data
in IF=2.  I checked this to several different 4IF spectral line
data, and the problem is the same.  The same data on another
machines seems perfectly normal.

A possible useful clue is that when I run TVFLG on the multisource
UV data, it says "TVFOAD: NO VALID PIXELS FOUND - RESET THE WINDOW"
when I selected IF=2, but it seems to know the size of the grid
it needs to do.  Also, the amplitude range is reported as all zero.
The most important clue may be that the TV display shows
"AVG 2" while it says "AVG 1" on the other machine where things
are working OK.

I looked for the parameter that sets "AVG", but I could not find
any. I tried "RESTORE 0" with no effect.  I even re-installed
aips 31DEC05 over the weekend to see if that fixes it, but it
does not.  What went wrong? and how do I fix this?  Any ideas?

 					-- Min

Min S. Yun				e-mail: myun at astro.umass.edu
Associate Professor			phone:  (413) 545-2215
Astronomy Department			FAX:    (413) 545-4223
University of Massachusetts             http://www.astro.umass.edu/~myun
Amherst, MA 01003