[daip] aips_gripe

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 12 15:02:42 EDT 2005

Johnny Metelsky writes:
 > {25-AUG-2004 15:21:36}
 > {iolanthe     UN-REGISTERED!!!!!!!}
 > {  920  31DEC03  SOL}
 > {Johnny}
 > {Columbia University, Pupin Hall}
 > {1(212)854-8927}
 > {I can't get an image with IMAGR.
 >  I get this message:
 >  IMAGR1: Field   1 Sum of gridding weights =  1.74374E+10
 >  IMAGR1: Field   1 Beam min = -487.7 MilliJy, max =    1.0      Jy
 >  IMAGR1: FITBM: SOLUTION FOR RESTORING BEAM FAILED
 >  IMAGR1: Field   1 fit FWHM =    4.710 x    4.710      arcsec, PA=   45.0
 >  IMAGR1: CLBHIS: minimum component 0.500 of current peak
 >  I'm trying to image a SNR from data in A array, 6cm.
 >  I think it could be a calibration issue.
 >  When I try to run CALIB with UVRANGE 0 25 for 3C286, I get no solutions.
 >  I haven't had this problem before, when I had an unlimited UVRANGE.
 >  I'm not sure what the problem is.
 >  Thanks
 >  Johnny
 >   }
 > {Can't properly calibrate using 3C286 in A array, 6cm even when UVRANGE 0 25.}
 > {johnny at astro.columbia.edu}
 > { }

I cannot find any answer from us on this.

We have put models for the main cal sources into aips and have just
released the 6cm 3C286 model.  This would now let you avoid the
damaging UV range limits which used to apply.  You will need the
31DEC05 (although I think a MNJ on 31DEC04 would fetch the model
also).