[daip] question about resolution

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 8 12:27:21 EDT 2005

Olivia Tang writes:

 > I have 2 galactic center pictures of 8 micron and 20 cm. Before I can start
 > the data analysis, I need to match their size and resolution, so that the 2
 > images can superimpose each other. I would like to know if aips can tell me
 > what their resolutions are and if there's a program that can transform one
 > image's resolution to match the other's. As for the size matching, I found a
 > program called OHGEO. Is it the right thing to use? Thanx for taking your
 > time to answer my questions.

OHGEO is good to match not only the cell size but the coordinate
center and the type of projection.

The 20cm image will probably have the Clean beam parameters in the
header - IMHEADER will show, e.g.

AIPS 1: Conv size=   6.39 X   5.78   Position angle= -10.47

The optical image probably will not have that information.  You could
use IMFIT or JMFIT to fit some point sources in the image and
determine the resolution.  ADDBEAM verb will then let you put that in
the image header (units are degrees).

CONVL will smooth an image.