[daip] Re: AIPS FRING

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 6 16:20:49 EDT 2005

Yuri Y. Kovalev writes:

 > 1. Could you explain
 > why FRING is not reporting this in case if I set aparm(9)=0
 > and keep all the other parameters including SNR cutoff the same?
 > It does not make sense to me.
 > Possibly, I do not understand something.

   In the normal search, only baselines to REFANT are searched.  In
that case, when it fails it just does not give you a message about it
- but the results will be flagged in the SN table.  It is possible
that the apparent SNRs may be higher in the simple search.

This message occurs only in the subroutine that is used for exhaustive
searches and then only because that method allows for more than one
possible reference antenna.

 > 2. Could you explain why in case of
 > "many baselines to the REFANT are flagged and then there
 > is no way to reference the phases to that REFANT"
 > FRING is not using other ANTs from SEARCH?

What the message is saying is that there are two sets of antennas with
no baselines between the two sets.  With a lower SNR cutoff, more
solutions are allowed and the two sets become joined.

 > 3. In my view, this comment
 > fourie> FRING1: Sorry, the data has partitioned into multiple
 > fourie> FRING1:    disjointed subarrays. Flagging some good
 > fourie> FRING1:    solns. silly, aint it?
 > confuses a general AIPS user.
 > Could you change it to something more helpfull?

Actually - I do not like the flippant tone of the 2nd part either, but
the first part is a rather well worded description of what has
happened.