[daip] Future of AIPS and AIPS++ question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 25 16:49:43 EST 2005

Sally Laurent-Muehleisen writes:
 > I am contemplating upgrading my linux OS soon and before I do so, was
 > wondering if you would be able to tell me what linux OS you will be
 > testing new versions of AIPS (and/or AIPS++) under.  I believe the most
 > recent linux kernel under which AIPS has been tested at NRAO is that
 > contained in the RedHat 9 release.  As I'm sure you know, RedHat has "gone
 > all enterprise" on us, so will you be testing newer version of AIPS under
 > the Fedora OS or changing to something else (Mandrake etc).  Just want to
 > make sure I make an intelligent choice about what to install on my
 > computer here since AIPS in a very integral part of what I do.

I believe that NRAO will be going to Enterprise.  But aips is already
running under Enterprise, fedora (numerous versions), mandrake, suze,
and probably others if I may judge by questions asked and answered.  I
suspect that we are generic (old-fashioned) enough to survive almost
anywhere.  I cannot speak for aips++ and suspect that it is more
fragile but also more likely to have explicit testing.  Perhaps Wes
Young who works for both sides and will get the cc of this will
comment on aips++.

Cheers,